Quote "Every living being in this world is knowingly or unknowingly on a spiritual pilgrimage." Unquote
Related pages: BABA.azhagi.com, M.T. Mind, Yoga Vasishta (Yoga Vāsiṣṭha) -- Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, Book 4, Book 5, Book 6, Book 7
If you can read the above 7 books of Yoga Vasishta (not 'here and there' but in order), then you need not read anything of the ensuing Q&A, etc. present in this page (except for the purpose of constant SatSang). In fact, in my personal humble opinion, there is nothing more to read for you, in the field of spirituality, in terms of understanding spirituality 100%. You might think "Oh. Every spiritual seeker says so about some spiritual treatise or other.". Honestly, that is not the case with Yoga Vasishta. Yoga Vasishta is the ultimate treasure house of the 'Ultimate Knowledge'.
You will believe what I say if only you can read all of the above 7 books. Even if you finish reading upto the 3rd Book, you would have realised the truth of my words. You would have perfectly understood how this whole universe along with the zillions of other parallel universes are all nothing but mere illusions. That understanding will help you realise how you shall put as much efforts as you can to attain SELF-REALISATION, get out of this (incredibly grand)illusion once for all and remain in Consciousness (i.e. Truth, the birthless, deathless, unchanging, eternal Reality), for ever, eternally.
Yes, self-realisation is Himalayanly tough^^, particularly with the attractions of this world, pains (due to physical challenges, diseases, injuries, old age, etc.) and vicissitudes of this life. But, even amidst all that, we (incl. me, of course) shall always try try try try try, to whatever extent we can. I have been thus trying since 1989. It is tough beyond words to still the mind, which is the sole requisite for self-realisation, as per all Mahans. A 'Nothing Entity' like me definitely needs a SadGuru (God in human form) around me all the time - to guide my each and every step, so that I can still (in other words, extinguish) my so-called mind. My sincere prayers for you to get your own SadGuru. My sincere prayers (from the very depths of my heart) for GOD-realisation for ALL......... Sairam.....
(^^) An extract from Book 3 of Yoga Vasishta is as follows:
Sage Sri Vasishta: Lord Sri Rama! The illusionary appearance of the world is like cholera. It has been there for a long long time. It cannot go away that quickly. Self-inquiry is the only mantra to be out of it.
- Where does God live?
- How can I meet God?
- What does enlightenment mean?
- What is enlightenment and how it can be achieved?
- What is the purpose of spiritual enlightenment?
- Is enlightenment the end of the road for a seeker? Does an enlightened person not gain any further knowledge or experience?
- Can you be spiritually enlightened, then lose it?
- Do spiritually enlightened people have different kinds of brain activity?
- Which texts do you read for your kundalini awakening?
Goal of Life
- What do you want in life?
- What is meant by surrender in spirituality?
- Why is Namasmarana (remembering the name of Lord) given a lot of importance in Kalyuga?
- What is Meditation? Is it an emptying of the Mind? Can one really do that?
- Is the emptiness of the mind the destination of meditation?
Virtues - Gratitude, Forgiveness, etc.
- What do you think is your most important human virtue?
- Is forgiveness a sign of cowardice?
- What are your top 5 favorite spiritual quotes and why?
- What are some best quotes regarding Spiritual enlightenment?
- What's your favorite spiritual ocean quote or metaphor?
- What is your favorite spiritual anecdote?
- What are some good books for spiritual enlightenment?
- What are some books to read for self-realisation?
Science vs Spiritualtiy
- Do spirituality and science go hand in hand?
- ஆன்மீகத்திற்கும் கல்விக்கும் தொடர்பு உண்டா?
- Does rebirth really happen?
- Reincarnation: Can humans ever be born again?
- நான் ஏன் மீண்டும் பிறக்காமல் இருக்கவேண்டும்?
- Is it possible to know about the previous life by any yoga? How?
- How can I know who I was in my past life?
- Why does some place that I visit the first time seem extremely familiar? Is it just coincidence or could it be spiritual?
- What would be some prayers/mantras in Hinduism or Buddhism for wishing good health on someone else?
- What are some of the greatest examples of presence of mind?
In spirituality, there are 100s of questions (e.g. Why was this Universe created?, When did Karma begin?, Why is there evil in this world?, etc., etc.) for which answers do not exist. They are called transcendental questions and Mahans have instructed that one shall not strive to dwell upon these sort of metaphysical questions but instead devote all the time spent in musing (for answers to these questions) to know oneself - i.e. to realise who one is, in reality - i.e. to attain self-realisation. Mahans have told that you will not find answers to these questions even if you rack your brain for millions of years. Please read answers to the questions numbered 78, 81, 120, 23 in the free book (May I Answer? - Swami Sri Sivananda.pdf) you can download from here - http://www.dlshq.org/faq.htm - where it is made crystal clear why we should never ever dwell upon transcendental questions. For those curious, question no. 78 goes like is: "I would like to know why we are all created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight. You would argue that we are never created and never would die. Then why should not we all be in that all-pure, omnipotent state without being entangled by Samskaras and Maya?"
The Clock to Self-Realisation
I love the 'Clock Analogy' given here - Should-it-be-Bhakti-Jnana-or-Karma-for-me - and strive to act as per it, as much as possible. i.e. keep ticking on with your work - tick tick tick tick tick tick (like the second hand of a clock which is usually hardly noticed and not given much importance) - so that the minute hand (Bakthi) moves after a while, which results after quite a long while in the movement of the hour hand (Atma Viswaasam - Self-Confidence), and thus ultimately leading to SELF-REALISATION, the one and only goal of human life, as stated innumerable times by the Mahans.
The Train to Self-Realisation
The 'Train Analogy' given here - http://media.radiosai.org/journals/Vol_08/01FEB10/01-conversations.htm - illustrates the 3 paths so so so beautifully. I have realised that the 'Clock Analogy' referred by me in the previous section shows the way to adopt for NOTHING entities like me, until my SatGuru (my own SatGuru; எனக்கே எனக்கான சத்குரு) arrives in my life and guides me uninterruptedly towards Self-Realisation, which is the one and only goal of life (as repeatedly said by the Mahans, countless times).
Thanks a ton to RadioSai.org for the above image.