Azhagi's Tamil Transliteration Scheme - Modern Style
If the characters in this page are not visible in Tamil, then it means you do not have even one suitable Unicode Tamil font in your system. To download and install atleast one FREE Unicode Tamil font, kindly visit freefonts.html.
Tamil can be transliterated using Azhagi, following it's easy, fast and flexible 'English to Tamil' transliteration scheme/rules (i.e. English-to-Tamil letter/character/key mappings). As far as Tamil is concerned, Azhagi provides a natural (easier and faster)
transliteration scheme since 2000, making it unique. For more information on this uniqueness, please see easytam.html
. Since there is no 'rigidity' with regard to Azhagi's Tamil transliteration scheme, there are lots of HELP topics/links provided from within Azhagi application itself to help you understand the various intelligent and flexible key mappings Azhagi offers to make your Tamil transliteration experience ever so easy, natural, intuitive and fast
. The aforesaid HELP topics/links (as well as a tutorial
in mazhalaigal.com on the naturalness and flexibility of Azhagi's transliteration scheme) are listed below.
- Click on 'English to Tamil Mappings' button in the main opening screen of Azhagi. You can click on each item in it to see mappings for vowels, consonants, vowels+consonants, special cases, intelligent mappings, extended mappings, etc.
- Click on 'Sample Transliteration Texts' button in the main opening window of Azhagi. A new screen will open listing lots of examples. You can click on the various buttons at the bottom of that screen to read further more examples.
- Click on 'Languages' menu of Azhagi.
- Click on the menu item 'Key Mappings - Tamil'.
- You can get to see a consolidated mappings summary of Azhagi (which is given here in this page too). You can take a print-out of this for your reference. But, as explained elsewhere in this page, this summary can only serve as a basic reference. Azhagi's transliteration scheme is otherwise flexible and changes according to certain combination of letters and hence you have to go through the various other help topics so that you use Azhagi at it's easiest best and increase your productivity in Tamil computing.
- Click on 'Help' menu of Azhagi.
- Click on the menu item 'English-to-Tamil Mappings -> In detail'.
- The starting help topic (vowels mapping) for English-to-Tamil mappings will open.
- After reading/seeing mappings (with alternatives) for vowels, keep clicking on 'Next' button at the top to see mappings for consonants, special cases, intelligent mappings, extended mappings, etc. with examples.
- You can press F7 or Shift-F7 or Ctrl-F7 at any time while using Azhagi to see the gist of mappings table shown to you (The vertical table and one of the horizontal mappings table can be kept on top of any application while you are pressing F10 and using Azhagi to type directly in Facebook, Gmail, Excel, MS-Word, Skype, Gtalk, etc).
Consolidated Key-mappings Summary
- Click on 'Help' menu of Azhagi.
- Navigate to the menu item 'FAQ and Tips'.
- Click on 'Tamil equivalent for any English text'.
As explained elsewhere in this page, the summary table below can only serve as a basic reference. Otherwise, Azhagi's transliteration scheme is "not rigid". It is flexible and changes according to certain combination of letters and hence kindly please go through the various other 'Help' topics mentioned in this page without fail
so that you use Azhagi at it's easiest best and increase your productivity in Tamil computing.
அ = a, ஆ = aa/A, இ = i, ஈ = ee/I/ii, உ = u, ஊ = oo/uu/U
எ = e, ஏ = ae/E, ஐ = ai, ஒ = o, ஓ = oa/O, ஔ = ow/ou/au
க = ka, கா = kaa/kA, கி = ki, கீ = kee/kii/kI, கு = ku, கூ = koo/kuu/kU
கெ = ke, கே = kae/kE, கை = kai, கொ = ko, கோ = koa/kO, கௌ = kau/kou/kow
க் = k/g/c, ங் = ng/nG, ச் = s/ch, ஞ் = gn/nj/Gn, ட் = t/d, ண் = N/nd
த் = th/dh, ந் = n/nh/ndh/nth, ப் = p/b, ம் = m, ய் = y/aai/oi/Oi/eo/eO, ர் = r
ல் = l, வ் = v/w, ழ் = zh/z, ள் = L, ற் = R/tr/dr, ன் = n/nH
ஜ் = j, ஷ் = sh, ஸ் = S/s, ஹ் = h, க்ஷ் = ksh/X, ஸ்ரீ = sri/sree/shri/Mr
௧ = Ma, ௨ = Mb, ௩ = Mc, ௪ = Md, ௫ = Me, ௬ = Mf
௭ = Mg, ௮ = Mh, ௯ = Mi, ௰ = My, ௲ = Mz
asif = அசிஃப், rex = ரெஃஸ், aZaarudheen = அஃஜாருதீன்
Note: The following is a screenshot of the table available at mazhalaigal.com/tamil/learn/keys.php (thanks to the editor of mazhalaigal.com). This snapshot table shows you only the "basic" key mappings. But, Azhagi provides alternative keymappings too for very many letters and to view the same, please visit the abovementioned mazhalaigal link and move the mouse over each colored Tamil letter.
: The above tables give you only a summary. For details on other as-you-type flexibilities in the key-mappings, you SHOULD always refer to the various other 'Help
' topics mentioned in this same page. See sample words below some of which can help you understand some of the flexibilities talked about.
neenga = நீங்க, andam = அண்டம், nandri = நன்றி, katru = கற்று
viswam = விஸ்வம், namaskaaram = நமஸ்காரம்
sreedhar = ஸ்ரீதர், manju = மஞ்சு, gnaayam = ஞாயம்
bandham = பந்தம், saantham = சாந்தம், kaeLvi = கேள்வி, koavil = கோவில்
nhagar = நகர், maanhagaram = மாநகரம், senhnheer =செந்நீர்
poi = பொய், kaai = காய், aGnGnaanam = அஞ்ஞானம், mei = மெய்
nanghu = நன்கு, palancaL = பலன்கள், payanKaL = பயன்கள், avanThaan = அவன்தான்
leoni = லியோனி, paeTrik = பேட்ரிக், petroal = பெட்ரோல், coapanHaegan = கோபன்ஹேகன்
If you have any doubts or if you wish to give your suggestions/comments on any aspect of Azhagi, please always join 'Azhagi' online support groups (please see http://azhagi.com/groups.html
for details) and post your queries/suggestions/comments therein. However, if you are quite new to Azhagi and need some basic help during the initial phases, then please do mail me (at noblehearted at gmail dot com
). Kindly note that I can understand only English and Tamil (my mother tongue) and a little bit of written/spoken Hindi and Malayalam (as I graduated from Regional Engineering College, Calicut). All about me, if you are interested, at: http://azhagi.com/story.html
. My personal contacts are at: http://azhagi.com/contacts.html